Pinga From the Upcoming Movie Bajirao Mastani is A Hot Mess
After the energetic Gajanana and the visually decadent Deewani Mastani, two songs from Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s upcoming movie Bajirao Mastani, I was expecting a hat trick from SLB. However, the much hyped dance-off between the two female leads is a dud. It didn’t float my boat. Here in no particular order is a list of my critiques.
2. Whatever this dance is, it is not pinga. (pinga ghalene : to spin around)
3. Lame choreography is lame, mishmash of the dancing styles doesn’t quite gel.
6. Married Marathi women don’t put sindoor in the hair part. Research fail.
7. Where is the Gauri? Isn’t this supposed to be a Gauri celebration? Which is presumably why these women are dancing in the first place. This to me looks like a Gauri or Mangla-Gauri jagran or all nighter, which is primarily a huge sleepover party for women where they get together, gossip, sing songs, dance etc. This is usually an female affair, by women and for women, and men are not welcome.
8. Plaigarism alert, Bhansali needs to credit V. Shantaram.
9. Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra have nothing on goddess Madhuri when it comes to dancing abilities.
10. Is it my imagination or does the pattern on this dance floor resemble the one in Chandramukhi’s parlor? SLB we expect better from you, stop being so repetitive.
Deepika and Priyanka pretending to put sindoor in their hair part in a still from Pinga (Credit :NDTV)